Matchmaker Band takes great pride in our ability to keep your dance floor packed as soon as the dance floor opens. This is, of course, in very large part due to our amazing talent. Our full-time musicians and performers are highly skilled and trained to take the party over-the-top and keep your guests smiling, dancing and singing all night long.
Another big factor in packing the dance floor is the set list. With thousands of weddings under our belt, we have perfected the ultimate wedding playlist we know will get your guests running to the dance floor. This is why we have all of our couples choose their top 10 favorite must-plays and bottom 10 do-not-plays. We make sure we play the songs you absolutely love, keep out the songs you absolutely hate, and customize the rest based on your preferences while still having flexibility to keep in the essential hits.
Did you know every single set we make for our couples is made from scratch? We get to know a lot about you when you send us your top 10 and bottom 10 preferences, and we want to make your night special and unique to YOU and what you love. But don’t forget that this is also a party for all of your friends and family who have (often) traveled from all over the place just to celebrate your union. Here are some of the dance floor hits we always recommend putting on your must-play list!
1. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” - Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell - If Matchmaker Band had an anthem song, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” would be it! We just LOVE this song and we guarantee that your guests will, too. Everything about this song is classic. As soon as the keys come in with that signature melody line, everyone immediately starts shouting “listen baby!” Unless it’s a do-not-play for you, this song is a must-have. We promise this will be a special song at your wedding that will get everyone running to the dance floor. Any song that has a key change, like this one, is also a crowd pleaser. The key change literally lifts everyone up and keeps them excited throughout the entire song. This is Matchmaker Band’s favorite song of all time, and we promise you will want it on your wedding night.
2. “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” - Whitney Houston - You just can’t go wrong with this one. This is an interesting one because sometimes it takes a minute for people to realize what it is. You see the guys looking around at each other, shrugging their shoulders, like they’ve never heard it before. And then, that magical chorus drops, and everyone is shouting the words at the top of their lungs. That first chorus will be one of the loudest crowd moments of the night. Everyone almost stops dancing just to shout the words. Like “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” has a key change, as well. When that key change hits, the excitement in the room is contagious. If this song isn’t on your no-list, it needs to be a 100% yes. You will be happy you had this Whitney moment in your reception!
3. “September” - Earth, Wind & Fire - Big horns? Check. Big dance moves? Check. Big harmonies? Check. Every single instrument is doing something recognizable in this song. Every single part of this song is a signature part in itself. It doesn’t get bigger than “September” on the dance floor. This is a classic for people of all ages. Thanks to the “Trolls” movie, even the kiddos will know it. This song is a 100% winner, and you will be wishing we played it two more times on your wedding night. This a Matchmaker Band favorite that you do not want to miss out on!
4. “Proud Mary” - Tina Turner - You know Tina Turner has got to make the best dance floor hit list. What we love about this song is how interactive it is with your crowd. This is a great moment in the night to call more people out to the dance floor, to bring the bridesmaids up on stage, to have grandma show everyone how to do the Tina Turner dance, to play karaoke for the first half of the song. As soon as the guitar starts, everyone knows what’s about to go down, and Matchmaker Band does it differently every single time. We feed off of the energy of your friends and family. We make this song unique and special for your group and whatever happens is something that will not happen twice with this song. It is a time to celebrate everyone and get them involved in the dance party. Unless this one makes your bottom 10, this needs to be in your top 10. “Proud Mary” on your wedding night will be something your guests will talk about for years to come.
5. “Superstition” - Stevie Wonder - Matchmaker Band loves us some Stevie Wonder. You will see his song book all over our song list, and you really can’t go wrong with Stevie. But, there is just something extra special about the dance floor when “Superstition” drops. We pride ourselves in having the best wedding singers in the state of Texas, and “Superstition” is all of our male singers’ most favorite song to sing. There are HUGE moments in this song that you will want at your wedding. The horns get to show off. The dancers get to show off. And our male lead definitely gets to show off. Do not miss out on “Superstition!”
6. “I Want You Back” - Jackson 5 - Like “September,” “I Want You Back,” really has it all. Matchmaker Band delivers top-notch, polished choreography all night long, and Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back,” has some of our favorite moves. This song has killer bass, killer horns, killer vocal breakdowns. It really is the total dancefloor package. Your guests will love to watch our dance moves and follow along from the crowd. It is impossible to stay in your seat for this song. It just has a groove that makes everyone come running to the dance floor. If you don’t put this in your bottom 10, make sure it makes your must-play list!
7. “Dancing Queen'' - ABBA - We had second thoughts on this one for several years. We actually didn’t add this song to our song list until about 4 years ago, and we all felt nervous about it before we played it live for the first time. But WOW is this one a winner! “Dancing Queen” is one of those “hate how much you love it” songs. It starts right away with the chorus - “you can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life,” And, boom. Everyone is IN. It’s a great moment to show off the bride, as well. Everyone loves to point to her as the “dancing queen” of the night and show her off. Everyone knows the words to this one and anyone who has been sitting on the sidelines will come running out to the dance floor. We 10 out of 10 recommend!
8. “Crazy In Love” - Beyonce - Like Tina Turner, Beyonce has just gotta make the dance floor hit list, and no hit is bigger for her than “Crazy In Love.” Unless you hate this song, you MUST have it on your wedding night. It is a HUGE moment for the band - the energy of this song just stays up, up, and more up. This song is the definition of a live band dance party. We like to place it towards the end of the night because it’s honestly hard to go bigger than “Crazy In Love.” This will be one of the highest moments of the night for both your guests and for the band. It is a must-have!!
9. “Uptown Funk” - Bruno Mars - While we know this one has been a little played out, “Uptown Funk” is a big yes for your wedding night. Not only does everyone know it, everyone loves it. Everybody knows every single word to this song and loves to go big. This is also a great crowd participation moment with lots of call and response opportunities for your guests. We certainly understand if this one makes the do-not-play list, but we highly recommend thinking very long and carefully before putting it on there. This one is ALWAYS a winner. Every person who hasn’t danced yet comes out to the dance floor for “Uptown Funk.” It’s impossible to not have it on our top 10 list dance floor essentials.
10. “Shout” - The Isley Brothers - So if everybody didn’t come running out to the dance floor during “Uptown Funk,” they will DEFINITELY come running for “Shout.” This is another one that can sometimes make the do-not-play list because of the idea that it’s been “played out.” Even if it makes your do-not-play list, we can guarantee we will have at least 3-5 relatives asking us for this song all night long. We don’t know when this became the wedding anthem, but it is now, and most of your guests are excited for it all night long. Like “Proud Mary,” Matchmaker Band takes pride in the uniqueness of “Shout.” Our version of “Shout” is special. It’s all about the happy couple and celebrating the day. Every time we perform “Shout” it’s a little bit different. It’s a HUGE crowd moment. But it’s also a huge moment to celebrate the newlyweds and draw attention back to our happy couple. It’s a time to “testify” and shout about how happy we are for your love. Like “Uptown Funk,” we certainly understand if this one makes the do-not-play list for similar reasons, but we encourage you to consider keeping it in. Epic photos guaranteed.
“Kiss” by Prince
“Respect” by Aretha Franklin
“Do You Love Me” by The Contours
“Can’t Stop The Feeling” by Justin Timberlake
“Man, I Feel Like A Woman” by Shania Twain
“I Want It That Way” by Backstreet Boys
“Stayin’ Alive” by The BeeGees
“Celebration” by Kool & The Gang
“Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift
“Hey Ya!” by OutKast
If you have a wedding coming up and are interested in booking some live entertainment jammed pack with a hit set list, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, WE TRAVEL!