Similar to the bouquet toss moment, having a garter toss incorporated into your wedding night is not something that all couples choose. It’s a pretty big moment in the night that can be exciting for some of our grooms and intimidating for others. If a garter toss is something you want on your wedding night, Matchmaker Band has song choices for every type of groom. See some of our top picks below:
1. For the shy guy - “Suit & Tie” - Justin Timberlake - Justin Timberlake’s “Suit & Tie” is a great choice for our groom’s who are a little nervous about the garter toss. This song is fun, suave, and perfect for a garter toss moment. It’s classic and simple. There’s nothing inappropriate about it (for our groom’s who are a little more nervous about grandma watching), and it will be a sweet moment that you can build up or down play as much as you want. This is a great choice for all guys, but especially our shy guys.
2. For the country guy - “Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)” - Big & Rich - We just LOVE this Big & Rich song, and if you tend to lean a little country, this one’s for you. The only bummer about this one is that the Matchmaker Band also loves to play “Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy) live. This one is fun and high energy, and lyrically appropriate for the garter toss moment. Similar to “Suit & Tie,” you can build it up or downplay it as much as you want. The song is so fun that everyone will be dancing and singing along no matter what you do. This is a great choice that you can’t go wrong with!
3. For the party guy - TIE between “That’s What I Like” - Bruno Mars AND “Pour Some Sugar On Me” by Def Leppard - For our party guy who leans a little more modern, “That’s What I Like” is a GREAT choice for the garter toss. For our party guy who wants to be a little more nostalgic, Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me'' is the way to go. A party guy is someone who doesn’t mind being the center of attention and can even be known to be a little bit of an instigator when it comes to having a good time. You can expect the party guy to build this moment up instead of downplay it and have a whole gang of groomsmen cheering him on. He might even have a beer waiting under the wedding dress to chug while he goes fishing for the garter. Matchmaker Band loves a party guy and we love both of these song choices equally for his garter toss moment.
4. For the entertainer guy - TIE between “Whatta Man” by Salt-N-Pepa, En Vogue AND “Pony” - Genuwine - The entertainer guy is a little more extra than our party guy. He has been waiting for this garter toss moment and can’t wait to show off his moves, plan something hilarious and/or hype up the crowd. It’s a two-way tie for our entertainer guy between “Whatta Man” by Salt-N-Pepa & En Vogue AND “Pony” by Genuwine. The entertainer guy is not scared of a little bump and grind to please the crowd (speaking of which, R. Kelly’s “Bump n’ Grind” is also a great song for our entertainer guy). He is the first one to hop on a stage at a party, he loves making everyone laugh, and he definitely sees the garter toss as a perfect moment to entertain his friends and family and get some laughs from his new Mrs. He needs something a little extra and “Pony” and “Whatta Man” are both perfect choices.
5. For the classic guy - TIE - “Let’s Get It On” - Marvin Gaye AND “You Sexy Thing” by Hot Chocolate - Our classic guy is here for whatever is happening. He just wants to have a great time and is down with any and all traditions his Mrs. wants. He’s not used to being the center of attention, but when duty calls, he’s ready for it. He will attempt to shake his hips just to get that gorgeous smile from his bride, but he doesn’t take himself too seriously. For him, the garter toss is really about her, and Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” and Hot Chocolate’s “You Sexy Thing” are both perfect choices for just that. He is dancing silly for her and the surrounding crowd is just icing on the cake. Both of these song choices are sweet, humorous, and perfect for our classic guy.
Other Garter Toss Songs We Love: